Curriculum Guides are provided through Earth Charter US. Lessons have been designed using sequence and content from the Curriculum Guides, and incorporate additional content and resources.
Suggested Books (from Curriculum Guide):
- Spinning Tales, Weaving Hope / Holly Near
- Earthchild / Sheehan and Waidner
- Environmental Education Activities Manual / Stapp and Cox
- 50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth / Earthworks Group
- Recycler’s Handbook / Earthworks Group
Lesson Plans for K-2:
Our lesson plans will be covering the Preamble and the first four principles of the Earth Charter.
- Preamble: Respect and Care for the Community of Life
- Respect and Care for All Things
- Care for the Community of Life with Understanding, Compassion and Love
- Find Ways for People to Live Together Peacefully and to Work Together for the Good of All
- Make Earth Healthy and Beautiful for All Children of the Future
Each lesson goes over a two week period and will follow this outline:
- Reflection: Go outside and observe a particular element of nature. Reflect on how this element is connected to other aspects of life.
- Inspiration: Introduce the lesson theme to be discussed. Read book selection pertaining to lesson focus.
- Understanding: Reflection on lesson theme as a group. Group discussion of what lesson theme addresses, sharing inspirations, ideas for relevant activities.
- Demonstrating: Doing a fun activity individually that develops the lesson theme further.
- Action: An individual (family) activity to put the lesson into action!
- Closing: A monthly recap where we get together online and share our individual activities with the group.